Sunday, June 21, 2015

Diaries of a fasting man: Habtoor Grand Ramadan Tent Review

Hi folks,

It's the first day back to work and I won't deny, it's been tough! Though I am channelling my focus on getting some important work done, I feel that it has been particularly more difficult to do so today just cause I got used to the laid back rhythm of the past few days. Anyway, there isn't much left to Iftar time so all should be ok in a couple of hours.

Last night, some of my friends and myself decided to head down to the Ramadan Tent at Habtoor Grand. I was a little hesitant about heading down to JBR on a weekend, but the traffic was good to almost non-existent as I was pulling into the hotel. There wasn't even a queue as well for the valet parking, wooho!

Anyway, to get to the Ramadan Tent, you'll need to get into the lobby, go down the staircase, and get into the club car that will drive you there, which definitely beats the alternative of having a long sweaty walk to the venue. On arrival, you are greeted almost instantly by the lovely ladies at the reception who will ask you if you have any reservation. After trying out all 10 alterations of my friend's name, we all agreed that it will be easier for everyone if I just called.

The venue is simple, and not too crowded. It is predominantly white, which I actually preferred over the red ambience over at The Majlis DWTC. The menu variety isn't as big as that of The Majlis, but it did contain all the essentials from hot and cold mezzeh, main courses, beverages and desserts. The prices were still reasonable with us paying around AED 150-200 per person (inclusive of shishas). If my memory serves me right, on average, dishes were priced at around AED 35 each with the Um Ali that I ordered being priced at AED 45. Shisha on the other hand is at AED 85. Water was a little pricey (AED 25-30 per bottle) as it was imported. Service was actually excellent in the sense that a waiter always attended to our requests whenever needed (The Majlis, please take notes here), and the quality of food was also good. Valet is complimentary, as long as you don't forget to have your ticket stamped, and the wait for the car was around 5mins, which again, is very acceptable.



The main thing that was missing from Habtoor Grand's Ramadan Tent was the vibe. I mean it was a nice chilled out place for my friends and I to catch up at, but in comparison with the other venues around town, this tent missed out on standing out. On the positive side, I don't recall any minimum spend which is always a good thing, but for the average price we paid per person, I guess a minimum spend should be out of the question. When looking around at different times during the evening, I always managed to find an available sofa or majlis seating which is a promising thing for walk-ins. Overall, I would rate Habtoor Grand's Ramadan Tent a 7/10 overall, and it would surely be the safety net to fall back on should the other more popular tents are not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment