Saturday, June 20, 2015

Diaries of a fasting man: Good social deeds

Day 3 is nearly coming to an end, and I think my body has gotten used to the rhythm of fasting. I haven't craved food at all today, and I actually had more energy in me to get around in doing some chores. This in fact brings me to today's post which I thought is best to be about doing good social deeds. 

Ramadan brings with it a sense of obligation of being a better person overall. I notice people tend to be more spiritual by way of reciting the holy bookz, and attending to prayers. But for this individual, I am almost certain that being a better person should be more of a lifestyle rather than acts crossed off a checklist. This got me thinking about what small changes I can do in my life that may have a positive impact both on me and the people in my life. Here's what I have come up with so far:

Appreciate your family
We hate to admit it but we do take them for granted. During this month, like me, you may realize that you aren't the one who prepares the iftar meal and just take it for granted that come Maghreb prayer, the food will be there on the dining table. If that's the case, then take a moment each day (or every other day) to acknowledge that person in your life who keeps you well fed at iftar time. A simple, yet regular, thank you will take you a long way.

Help with home chores
If you aren't the one cooking the meal, then at least be a contributing member by helping in other stuff like setting up and clearing the table, or taking out the trash, or even helping in cleaning the dishes. I assure you, you'll feel more self content.

Invite your friends and relatives over for Iftar
Given how busy we get with work during the year, sometimes there is a disconnection between your life with your family and your life with your friends. Ramadan is an excellent opportunity to connect, and reconnect people with one another so take it as an opportunity to have your family meet your closest friends, as well as a chance to reconnect with your relatives.

Donate unwanted used clothing
There are over 60 million refugees worldwide, many of which rely on contributions to survive. If you are skeptical about donating money, a good alternative may be considering giving up your clothes for a good cause. My rule is if I haven't worn it for over a year, chances are, I won't be wearing it ever again. There are many organizations operating under the red crescent which will accept your clothes donations; just make sure you do give to those who are licensed and are transparent about their operations.



No comments:

Post a Comment